Monday, October 27, 2014

Language Camp B (Post) by Afiqah Hani Bt Baharom

From the language camp, I realised that it is hard to make the students participate in the program. Most of them chose to be passive participants instead of using all the chances to enhance their proficiency in English. Other than that, I think I should sharpen my skills especially when I need to be friendly and communicate according to their age. I mean, they have different ways of thinking and I started to feel old.

Few days after the program ended, we had a post mortem session with Mr Ghazali by pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of the program. Some of the things that have been discussed are good time management, good corporations between the teachers and facilitators also the facilitators show good team works between them despite of having emergency during the program. While the negative feedback of the program are the problems of the venue, the food and some problems with the ice breaking sessions.


All in all, I feel really glad to participate in the language camp. It is one of the interactive way not only for the students to be able to learn English in fun ways, but as a facilitators, I could also apply or practice all the things that I have learnt in the class for the program. That is all from me. Thanks for your time! 

7 comments:

Pei Ching said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pei Ching said...

Hani, the language camp really enables us to apply the theories that we have learnt in class, so that we can know which is the most suitable one.

Unknown said...

I think the biggest challenge for me is to encourage the students to speak simple English to me. To do that, I have to use clear, simple and appropriate English so that they can understand me and reply me back using the language:D

Unknown said...

Yes, indeed I learned to embrace students' weaknesses such as their weak participation, inability to speak fluently and also write creatively. I suddenly felt that I had the motherly face when I was dealing with the students. I didn't wish to ruin their chances to experience the fun ways to learn language. But I think it's hard for one to maintain this kind of passion in teaching. Anyway, we did experience it. :)

yuanyi said...

Hani, we share the same problem. I also need to brush up my communicating skills with the students. Sometimes I just find it hard to click with them. But I believe that over the time when we gain more experience dealing with the students, we will get used to the interaction and will become more natural and comfortable with the said context. I hope =) All the best.

Alison Chin said...

Indeed!!I am having the same feeling as yours that this experience actually open up our mind more as a future educator. In other words, to help the students in their language proficiency in English, we have to pay more effort on it as it is really a crucial challenge for them to achieve the English level they should have acquired.

Nurul Izyana said...

I agreed on the old part. I felt old as well.

And also, I couldn't agree more that the students are mostly passive! I guess this phenomena is closely related with our learning culture. Students used to be the listener in the class and listen to teacher's lecture all the time. They were not given a chance to speak out opinions or in other way, the teachers never ask for their opinion.