Monday, October 27, 2014

After Language Camp B by Stephanie Young

It was a wonderful and fruitful journey joining Language Camp B. Although I play a role as a facilitator in the camp, there is something I have learnt in the camp. I remembered I ask the students if is there anything they would like to learn from Hulk (the superhero of our group). “Hulk is strong and will not give up easily so I would like to be like him.” This is somehow a reminder for myself. Life is never meant to be easy. It is a constant struggle, with extreme lows and extreme highs but never let disappointments cripple you down.
Other than that, I discovered that the students actually have the potential to do more hands-on activities. I found out that one of the major problems faced by the students is the lack of motivation. The students do not want to speak in the target language because they have the passion and  feel the importance in speaking by using the target language. Sometimes, even the teachers themselves often do not use English in teaching English. If the teacher does not motivate the students to speak in English, the students will also try to avoid the language. There were students in my group who is shy especially using English. I encouraged them to try and never afraid of making mistakes. Students might afraid that the teacher might not like it and being teased by the other group mates. However, the group mates were really supportive and  bit by bit the students built up confidence in speaking and improved.
Besides that, I see how the committees work together with all the facilitators to conduct the language camp. The team working skills and the understanding between all committees help us to successfully carry out all the activities and at the same time enjoying every moment together. Other than that, the collaboration with the school teachers also makes the language camp successful.

I hope to join more language camp in the future. I believe that each and every time I will learn different things. As a teacher-to-be, it is a lifelong learning. Similarly, I can always learn something new from my students. :)  





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Same goes to my students, I found out that they were more willing to do the drama practice if compared to writing task. They found it fun and engaging while doing the rehearsal.

Stephanie said...

Actually I also enjoyed the drama session the most :)

Nurul Izyana said...

Me too! I enjoyed the drama session the most!

Just want to say that I love the last picture. We all look happy :)