Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Language Camp A: Preparation

Greetings earthlings, aliens, and all beings that have internet connection~ [^A^]/



This is an intro, you can skip this paragraph and directly go the subheadings for the main point. ... Oh! you are still here? Cool! You must really like reading! Me too!! I love books, pamphlets, brochure, billboards and simply all things that have words that I can comprehend(Beware of things said on the net they are not all true, especially this previous sentence) . I am taking a degree for Bachelor of Science with Education(TESL) and this post and my following post is a based on experience related to the language camp(s) that I have participated and contains suggestions for future language camp facilitators


ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO MORDOR A LANGUAGE CAMP 

Surviving Language Camp 101

I listed down the preparations that my fellow facilitators and I did that works for me. I also inserted some aspects I think is important for any facilitators to pay attention to before conducting a language camp.
  1. Have awareness that you are going into complete disorder and confusion a room full of people/kids which have their own "unique" personality, be prepared Mentally and Physically (I tried to find out what cartoons school kids nowadays like so that I will at least have something to talk about with them) 
  2. Prepare a COMPLETE Language games instruction that suits your participants. a good instruction should have clear and easy to understand steps, list of materials as well as estimated duration. However, as conductors of these activity you must bend and alter the activities to suit the targeted participants.( having games that is not suitable for your target students is a recepi for migraine and it will not go smoothly. Believe me, I am talking from experience here. >~<lll it will be awful)
  3. LOTS of DISCUSSIONS on how the games should/need to be conducted. You can do like what we did, we tried to play the language games among ourselves first to be able to see how it might go wrong or what can be improved or maybe you need extra material, etc.
  4. Building up group dynamics among the facilitators (it ensure smooth execution of games later)
  5. Read and read again. It is very good for you to read the instructions multiple times and know it by heart before the actual day. (This step helped me a lot and avoid me from getting panic attack while conducting the games.)
  6. Make sure you have enough materials. (be aware how many participant is there and be prepared for excess or lack of materials)

Survival kits

Conducting as a facilitator for Language Camp A was my first experience so I was puzzled on what stuff other than materials needed for activities that I should have on hand and such( I freaked out actually). Here are things I think would become quite useful( I wish I had brought it along with me T^T)

  1. A light but high capacity bag. Shopping bag or summer bag that can be folded is ideal. (ease your movement and you will not lose stuff like extra papers, pens and small materials left off from for your games)
  2.  Tissue and wet tissue. (We had activities which used crayons and markers and it got all over my students hand, shirt, simply put everywhere. These guys really are saviors at those times)
  3. Candies (no matter what, everyone like getting rewarded, it is good to bring lil' extra sweets to motivate participation)


  That's all from me on preparation for language camp! I hope it will help! This are certainly not all in term of preparation. In this blog my comrades posted their experience as well so please do click on the labels and/or cruise through my friends posts for more!! ^x^


No comments: