Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Language Camp A: On the job! Facilitating a group of minions like a Boss!

Hello peeps, it's me again~ ^A^/

In this post, I'm gonna talk bout my experience during Language Camp A. I hope my experience during this camp can come in handy for you guys. 

I woke up that day with anxiety and in all honesty I really have no idea what to expect. I have never until that day handled a group of elementary school kids. When I stepped into the hall I was overwhelmed by the sheer sight if all the small lil' students. I had to convince myself it's going to be just fine just to be able to not panic. 

That whole day I tried my best to interact with my students as much as possible, they are really shy at the beginning but slowly they warm up to me after I made one of them laugh at my gesture later during the one of the games. I spotted that one of the students in my group is really good at getting others to join in, it was a blessing for me. The lil' angel really helped a lot to get others to warm up to me and participate more actively in the activities. I also assign simple small tasks for each student in my group while conducting the activities such as cleaning up and arranging things to let them feel like they are a part of the group. I think my group of students like it. My group students really like the attention given to them when I call out their name to help me and when I listen to what they want to say. 

My group English proficiency is mixed, some are low and some are intermediate and high. I needed to ensure my instructions where simple enough that they can easily understand and I did cheat a little by repeating my instruction in Malay.  The high and intermediate proficiency students get bored easily since they can do the activities faster than most of their peers in the group so I asked  them to help their friends during the activities especially during writing and reading activities to keep their interest and attention. .

The best moment during the language camp was during the drama activity. They are elementary kids, so I have taken it upon myself to write out their scripts in big letters so they can read them out but I had all of them contribute telling me what they want to say. My kids love making the props for the skits, we did the props together and well long story short it was a messy, a very FUN MESS.

At the end of the day, I had tons of fun. I love those cute lil' angels. I am very proud that my group manage to do the drama successfully since all of them overcome their shyness to talk in English at the beginning of the camp. I wish to have more and more fun experience like this again.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can see that you really enjoyed the language camp based on your post. It can be sensed through your writing.