Tuesday, October 28, 2014

During-reflection on Language Camp B by Nurul Izyana


I can’t believe that the day has come. My feeling that morning was undescribable. As soon as my feet stepped on the hall’s floor, my expectations were reduced. My first impression were; the hall seems to big(I prefer small hall that encourage interactive activities and participation), no air conditioner, chairs were arranged nicely(I prefer informal environment that promotes interaction) and the mic and the speaker is not working! (Errr but somehow, I felt relieved that they are not working as suddenly that morning, I don’t feel like I can be the MC of the day!) 

 I also felt grateful that some schools arrived late because I am totally not ready to be the MC. I felt like letting my MC’s partner have the stage all by himself for the whole day. But I know I can’t and I already take the risk. Due to my nervousness, everything went wrong. I started to feel blur and forgot everything we have planned yesterday. I forgot the script, the flow of the program, forgot to mind the language hence my instructions were not clear. My confidence was fading. 

 I felt relieved and grateful that in the middle of the program, Mr Ghazali asked us to minimize the roles of the MC. Out of sudden, our roles changed. We became the timekeepers instead and we have to remind every group about the time and the flow of the program. I don’t mind as it is much better than having to speak in front of the whole crowd. 

 Throughout the program, I act as a person who assists any facilitator who in need of helps, make announcements, remind other facilitators about the time, and arranged the prizes. I felt insignificant and knew that I did not contribute much in making this camp successful. I can’t deny that I envy my friends who had the chance to guide and facilitate students in small group. I felt a bit discontent and how I wish I could be one of the facilitator so that I could interact with the students in smaller group, knew each of them better and observe their progress before and after the program by myself.

2 comments:

Norbazila Mohd Asikin said...

It's okay Yana. All of us felt the same on that day. But it was only at the beginning of the program. I noticed that you became comfortable as you got along with the program. :)

aisyah jumpaan said...

Experience of MC-ing comes with time. You can watch YouTube videos on how to attract students' attention during camp. Hope it helps! XD