Saturday, February 09, 2002

The first day of Language Camp in S.K.A.M (02/02/2002)
I shall start my report from the time we took of from the campus FAB car park. Truthfully speaking, we were late from the scheduled time when the bus finally made a move towards our destination. The trip was tolerable, with not much problem, and for myself I spend it with sleeping. When we arrived there the students were already moving about, filling the place. I was earlier assigned to manage the registration and take the attendance of the pupils with three other facilitators, while checking if there are any missing ones from the checklist. There were about 106 students who had joined the camp that weekend.
The next activity included the opening ceremony and the icebreaking activity a.k.a ‘getting to know you’. We had a short refreshment break. During the dividing of group members, I as the representative of my group went to collect the materials and instructions for the coming two games. When I finally went back to my group, ten students were selected for our ‘snake’ group. Next activity was drawing the poster for our group and selecting a motto. We proceeded with the two games in a nearby class. I explained the games to the two other facilitators of my group, Norlia and Mangala. All of us three took turns to handle the lesson/game. Then we had a break for lunch. The coming activity includes two other games, and this time Mangala went to take the instructions and materials. I as gamemaster assistant under the programme coordinators went to the briefing for the treasure hunt. I was to stand guard at one checkpoint and distribute the envelopes containing clues. I then went to join the class. Again, we three took turn to handle the games. Then we had another short break a.k.a teatime. After the break the treasure hunt was to begin. When the students and facilitators were given briefing on the activity, I went to my checkpoint and spread out the clues. I stand guard while the groups went in and out of my checkpoint looking for clues. Unfortunately, the activity was flawed, were some groups run without their facilitator, and some rascals took other group’s clue, accidentally or purposely. Anyway, the game ended with us getting a long break for cleaning ourselves and getting some rest. We had dinner later, and continued with another game, which proved to be the interesting one of all. We ended the day with a short briefing before retiring to bed. Although some students couldn’t help but get themselves into trouble and running around, making excuses of going to the loo. For the facilitators, for me particularly, I went to sleep a bit later.

No comments: