Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The other side of story...

My Contribution
 
 
My contribution? What I have done for this camp? It is weird because I never list down everything I do for others to read. I don't think that I contribute so much for this camp but that little contribution, I did it with all my heart.
 
Before the camp
 
  1. Ask each bureau to prepare for their budget.
  2. Collect the budget from each bureau.
  3. Total up the entire budget and sent it to Miss Director.
  4. Open the account. Thanks to NORAISAH MUHARI for lending me your account where I can keep the money saves.
 
Since the number of participants keep changing, so I need to repeat Step 1 to Step 3 more than 3 times. There was time during mid term break, I got late evening message from Miss Director to revise the budget because of the number of participants were changed to 235 and she wanted the budget on that day. How can I? I was at home and I did not bring the budget book with me. And how can I ask each bureau to revise their budget due to the changing and get the response immediately. And how can I send the budget to Miss Director because I do not have internet connection at home. So I told Miss Director about it. She gave me the list of budget before this via sms and asked me to revise the budget on my own. Then I called my assistant, Nabilah Ismail. I was in Malacca and Nabilah was in Terengganu. We discussed over the phone about the budget. Luckily Nabilah got internet at her uncle house. So Nabilah helped me to do the write up and email it to Miss Director. Thanks lot Nabilah.
 
  1. Discuss with Salveen about the The Magic Box game. Salveen was the Game Master and I was her assistant.
  2. Prepare the boxes which contain list of titles for The Magic Box game.
  3. Help other bureau such as Material Bureau to sort out folders for the participants together with other facilitators.
 During the camp
 
  1. I was one of the facilitators in Group A. Together with Noni we were in charge for Fort Minor group.
  2. Briefing for Who Am I, Battleships, and Future: It's In Your Hand.
  3. Help Azma to take care of Checkpoint K with Nabilah during Treasure Hunt activity.
  4. Be the judge for the first round of drama presentation within Group A.
  5. Make sure that the HQ was cleaned before the participants left the HQ.
 
After the camp
 
  1. Closing the account with Nabilah…It was not an easy job to do even though I had experiences in doing the account. Thanks again Nabilah!
  2. Present the budget and balance to the class.
  3. Return the balance to people who deserved it. E.g : T-shirt balance…
 
Congrates to all Bureau because you managed to cut down the cost and as for the balance we can use it for other beneficial things later...something that we had agreed before ;-).  That's all about my contribution. Did I miss out something here? No I don't think so. Thank you.
 
 
 
My Reflection
 
Before I go further with my reflection about the ELC Kulai 07…First of all, I would like to give my biggest gratitude to Allah S.W.T for still blessing me with the gift of life, mind soul and strength. Secondly, I would like to express my gratitude to our lecturer, Mr Ghazali Bunari a.k.a Mr G for his guidance and advices and not to forget Dr. Norazman for helping us especially when it comes to financial support. Last but not least, a special thanks to all facilitators from ELC A and ELC B for the patience and cooperation in making ELC Kulai 07 a big success!
 
As for me, ELC Kulai was a huge success. Even though there were problems here and there start from the preparation until the camp day but we managed to tackle the problems and did it our own way. Congratulation to all facilitators! I was one of the facilitators in Group A together with our Mini Director Salveen, Ruzaini, Dayang, Andrew, Rubi as well as our Miss Director Sulia. I did enjoyed myself and had great experience working with all of them.
 
Talking about Group A…frankly speaking, the participants in Group A were not really popular if compared to other groups. I think you can see that. Does anyone remember the Simple Super Star, Westlife and Fort Minor from Group A? I don't think the answer is yes unless you are one of the facilitators in Group A. the participants were too shy, very passive and not interested at all in most activities.
 
All facilitators in Group A tried so hard to make our group 'alive'. I think we had been kind enough to the participants: be friendly with smile on the tired face all the time, being generous in giving them stamps, explained things that they could not understand, guided them during the activities session, provided them all the materials that they need, gave them ideas, allowed them to express their feelings towards the activities, friends and facilitators, gave them encouragement words to motivate themselves throughout the camp. What else? BUT still only few of the participants in Group A show their interest. It was like 'you can bring the horse to the water but you cannot force the horse to drink the water'. You know what I mean? However, it was not an end for the facilitators in Group A to give up.
 
There were also good things that I like about the participants in Group A. They remember our names during the Ice Breaking session without looking at our nametag. They respect us and they listen to our instructions. One thing that I noticed was that they could understand better when we explained them in smaller group of 17 participants. They also preferred to ask question within that small group rather than in big group of 57 participants. Some of them were quite competitive and particular about the stamps they got. After each activity, they'll go got the board where we putted their names and marks. They'll count the number of stamps they got.
 
There were games that the participants enjoy so much such as Battleship, Treasure Hunt and Happy Melodies. T6hanks to all Game Master for make it interesting! The Magic Box was quite boring. Sorry to Salveen as the Game Master and to myself as her assistant. Hehehe…some of them were very shy to speak. They have ideas but very shy to speak. One way to encourage them to speak by asking them question about the topic, then only they'll speak.
 
It was a bit chaos during drama preparation. For Group A, the facilitators really need to help them from A-Z. Noni and I  helped our small group Fort Minor to rehearse the drama and give them ideas for the drama. I should say Noni was the mastermind for Fort Minor during drama preparation. I was glad Noni was there! Dayang had her own story with her group Simple Super Star. She was alone and had to manage her group. It was not easy to handle the group alone. She had to take care of everything: giving ideas for the script, how to act, preparing the materials and make up the participants. Move on to Westlife group. Andrew and Ruby faced a big problem when their group did not want to listen to their instructions and started 'making face'. Andrew went out and came to me. He said, "Hajar, could you please talk to my group and give them some motivation". Pity Andrew. He really lost and don't know what to do. I said OK but he needs to help Noni. So I left Noni and Andrew with my group because I know she can handle them.
 
In the HQ, I went to Andrew's group. Ruby was there. I asked them to sit in circle and talked to them as a sister not a facilitator. I told them why we were there, the rationale that we were doing all the activities…and blab la. I noticed one of the girls cried and she went out…to the toilet may be. I wanted to ask her why but it was not the right time. Then only Andrew's group wanted to make a move preparing for the drama. And Salveen asked me and Andrew to be the judges for the first round of drama presentation within Group A. it was so hard to make decision. So I asked all the facilitators in Group A and we came out with one decision that was to send Simple Super Star group for the final round.
 
The closing ceremony was great! The facilitators' performance on the stage was quite funny. Some of us forgot their own position and some of us forgot the steps. After the closing ceremony, that girl came to me for my autograph. She hugged me and thanked me. I asked her why she cried. She said that she felt so hopeless and useless because she felt like she could not do what others could do. I told her that she was wrong and she need to give herself chances and opportunities to try and not to judge herself that way.
 
After all, it was a great experience and congratulations to all!
 
Written by,
Siti Hajar Mohamed Husin
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it now.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

kak hajar..you did a wonderful job..=) u are born to be a cool treasurer..heheh..maybe next time you can try for the Gavernor of the Bank Negara post..they should let you in..aja-aja fighting.

NorAiSha said...

salamz;

haja

congratulation for able to being one of the good facilitators and able to control our accout and money at the higest rate.futher than tht ,you managed to control your emotion at the very high level of patience.you should be proud of it...its not an easy job to b the treasurer..a kind of cognitive,soul and mind burdens rite? We are very proud to have u as one of us no matter in thick n thin.. without your contribution towards the camp...it will result to be chaos!

speacial gratitude to u for helping our bureau regarding to the moneymatter$$$$$$+shirt$$$$$+tags$$$$+shopping$$$$$$ and other tasks blablabla...(anything that u appear to interfere as a helping hands to us..)our bureau was the most 'mata duitan' as we needs money to accomplish our task.no money no talk k.hahhahah.materialistic than the material gurlz..hahahhaha. whatever its all about,Its done!all the efforts was paid up with the successfulness of the camp. a glory to 3spl!thanks and sorry for everything.gd Luck for Final!

THE NAME is N.O.R.A sumthin'

Anonymous said...

I believe the advice and inspiration that you gave the students at the end of the drama preparation was very meaningful. It surely must have been very touching to them and stirred a new sense of realization in them. No doubt, that was a very significant moment in the camp, though it was unplanned. It definitely was of great importance for those growing-up kids..

-His Royal Highness Prince Andrew, The Duke of York-

Anonymous said...

congratulation kak hajar for being able to become a trustworthy accountant for our camp. Eventhough i got the money for my bureau rather late and needed to use my own money first, but it's ok.. you have done your best i believe.

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

hajar, u did gr8 la as the ceti. n stop mentioning my name again.overexposure's not gud u know.. stale faster. i just did what i could 2 help.it was my job.i couldn't carry even half of ur burden with the money. it is still heavy until the class finish it off later,soon i hope!
music box,my kids enjoyed it temendously...

Anonymous said...

Hi girl,well i just want to thank you for being such a great "CETI"....thanks for cutting the budget here and there for our class fund.You are great!(salute)Just wish do give a suggestion..maybe we should have collected sponsers from other sources for the camp so that we would have been richer.(*wink*)

Anonymous said...

Salam
Firstly, I would like to thank u and your assistant, BiLa for the success in managing our budget. I’m sure it was not that easy to manage all that. But, u guys made it..right?  congratulation to your PA teacher too coz you still remember what he/she taught you in school. What else huh? Oh, thanx to you for everything.. oh my god, I’m wordless. Errr.. is there such word? :P oh ya, nice do the shopping thing with u, BiLa, Dyg, NoRa. Last but never least, all the best for the exams. Take care. Good Day!! roger n out!!

++ me, s u know: nana ++

Anonymous said...

you have done a great job.....dun worry

Anonymous said...

dayang....
hajar,you are so cool during the camp.we thank you for being a nice treasurer....you even went shopping with us