Sunday, April 08, 2007

Experiences leading to wisdom-STARP2007

EXPERIENCES LEADING TO WISDOM-STARP
 
          At the beginning I was very reluctant to attend the camp as my health was not permitting moreover I was in an emotional state of mind but now thinking back, thank god I attended it. The whole camp was a learning process for me. It has given me wisdom and made me a better person.
       During the Saturday night post mortem, many said that group D consist of hyperactive students, I totally disagree with that. I think it was exaggeration .In my point of view, there were only one or two who were hyperactive (but not in English) and others were extremely passive.I would say that the facilitators were good allowing many of them to speak up .
I was the facilitator for group d ( i ) and majority of the students was extremely weak and passive and it was really tiring to handle them and to make them speak. Most of the time when the game master, gave the command, d ( i ) group members had no idea what has been said or instructed and I had to make interaction modification to make them understand. At times, I had no choice whereby I had to code-switch. It was very frustrating during the group cheer moments as I was helping them with the cheer and they showed no interest. I was the only one excited at the moment, screaming and cheering together with them until I lost my voice thinking it would motivate them but I was wrong, things were just the same and that de-motivated me but I still did not give up .Besides pushing the walls, I just leaned on it. I just followed the flow and that paid off. That situation has thought me to be patience and I have learnt that we could not change anyone. We can only change ourselves. However, we should always give unconditional love to every one and that will change them to be who we want them to be.
 
Show Off Time??
 
      Well, before the camp I did not do much was just helping bits here and there like fixing the strings for the matric cards and many more. During the camp, I was in the in the lodging and safety department. There was 2 students who felt sick and was responsibly to handle the situation .In my group, I was helping out Yana and teaching the kids to sing "If you are happy and you know it" song, in "talking in the circle." I was the game master for word idol, group cheer, the guessing game, and speaking game. I was also the one who suggested to march to the dining hall like American Indian tribe. (Laugh out loud).For the other games I was helping the game master. Oh yeah, I forgot. I did donate my red metric string to one of the student because we ran out of it. hm…what else??I guess those are the major things that I contributed.:)
 
From, AmmaniJeyaPirathaba


The fish are biting.
Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search Marketing.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hai ammani,
congrats on your hard work during the camp. at times i do gree that we need to code switch with students who are unable to understand... Neway you manage to convey the message and that's great...
bye bye

Anonymous said...

hey ammani..
thanx n congrats for all the hard works...well done..bubye...

Anonymous said...

hi there....

i totaly disagree...that you said our group d oni have 2 or 3 hyperactive participants.....i wonder how and what makes you fail to look at our wonderful and active participants......i think that may be you did'nt close enough with them to understand them...even your group faci also admite that your participant were great........and bout the code switching......i think many of our students able to understand the instruction since all the faci used a simplified english...battleship proves that... from my point of view...oni v fail to play the word idol game...anyway thanks alot for ALL your contribution

Anonymous said...

Hie Ammani!
I guess you did a great job!I think you tried your level best to encourage the students to speak and participate in the games. The most important thing was you never give up easily.
Congrats, Ammani!

Anonymous said...

haallooo ammani!
thanks a lot for your contribution and support throughout the camp! you did an awesome job! congrats for all the success! *wink*
-xoxo-

Anonymous said...

Ammani,
WHAT?! You're the one who came up with that silly march? Haha..anyway, it was quite funny...and lots of fun to. Well well, what can say about you, my dear friend? I think you're a great facilitator, you and Kak Nana did a great job with Zorro..especially the cheer.. the funny thing was that both yours and Sumi's group used the Ay Ay Capten thing..great minds think alike I guess! hehe..anyway, it's more than 4 lines already so I'll just stop here before it becomes a short essay..a job well done!

NorAiSha said...

Hola Ammani

Congratulation for the successfulness!!congrate for being such a good facilitator. I heard that u fully used your creativity towards the group cheers.;>...and thanks for all your contribution in our camp. Pleasure to have u as one of ours. As regarding to the accidents, illness n whatever; u n grace managed to handle it. Great to know that there are not a single accident happened during our camp. What a relief to know that The illnesses of those girls is not becoz of our activities. yeah! We done it with flying colors!

THE NAME is N.O.R.A sumthin’

Anonymous said...

here we have another nurse.... taking care of the ill when everone else is playing games...

Anonymous said...

Eh?? how come i write so long but it only appear as two lines? ok, lets add some more....what shall i say? trying to recall... hmmmmm.... keep dancing under the lemon tree, keep dreaming in English, etc, etc..

Anonymous said...

hi naughty ammani..

if u just be a little more patient, I'll surely reply to u..k..hehe..bout the camp,u did a great job!! congratulations!! I know that u were not well, but u never really tell what was ur real illness was (I hope u r ok,now..)..i did ask all of u to tell me if u were not well..thank u for sticking with us for the whole camp!! We cannot afford to lose one excellent member of our family..

Anonymous said...

to ammani..cont'd

by the way, sorry for the saturday nite thing..sometimes, i had to do things I myself don't want to..dat's wat a director for..pushing everyone to the limit to ensure success!! u think if i weren't the director, I would want to do things as i did?..hehe..absolutely not!! and bout the meetings, maybe u thought it was the same thing, but it wasn't..it was just the same topic, but with changes..maybe dat's why u thought it was the same(u were not listening well?..ha...hehe..)like the grouping.the thing kept on changing..and I hv to infrm all of u..I almost puke thinking and planning for the same thing over and over again!! sorry if u think I were wasting ur time with the same thing..huhu..k,lah..good luck 4 final!! bubbye..

-xoxo-suYa-

Anonymous said...

aloha girl, you and grace were the 'temporary nurse' during our camp. ermm, and when i helped you guys, you told me that you have seen the real part of me. until now, i dont really know what it meant. care to tell me why?

love,
zaty