Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Language Camp

Language Camp 24-25th March 2007 @ STARP – A Reflection
 
            As I had revealed in class, I actually did feel halfhearted and unwilling to go to the Language Camp in STARP at first. The queuing-to-be-completed countless assignments that wait for me in campus are the answer why I felt that way. I just could not stop myself from thinking of the assignments when I left UTM that Saturday morning…
 
            First day of the camp, I was just like other facilitators, nervous and worried. But then, I was surprised to have the school (read: the students) welcoming manner. In mingling with the other members of HQ D, my nervousness slowly faded away and I started enjoyed the camp. As being the facilitator, I was happy to have a leader of HQ D, Hafiz, a Form Two student, who was very cooperative and high-spirited. He was even the leader of my group, Ghost Rider.
 
For my group, some of them were quite shy at first, but after the Hip Hip Hooray slot, where they had to form their group cheer, they gradually became excited. This was also because they had been motivated by me (of course!) and some of their other friends including Hafiz who were always interested in all games introduced.
 
The first sad episode was when Hafiz left us that night because he got to leave for the school program in Langkawi. However, the spirit he triggered the others stayed, and I really thanked him for that…
 
The best part of the camp that I liked the most was the Drama Presentation on the second day. I was amazed to see the spirit among the students in preparing and performing their drama. At first, I thought that we the facilitator would face problems in assisting and cracking our heads for the slot, but I was wrong! They were absolutely incredible!
 
Personally, I believe that no matter how exhausted I felt for the camp, my hard work paid off. I never thought that the students really valued us. This was proved by the farewell, the last sad episode of the camp to me. Yes, Mr. G, I agree with you. At that time, I could see the lighted bulbs on the students' head…
 
Alhamdulillah, everything went quite well. I did not expect for immense impact from the unremarkable me throughout the camp, but for the students whom still keep in touch with me till now particularly from HQ D.
 
To sum up, in the Language Camp, I have learnt more on:
(i)                Teamwork & Commitment – otherwise, the camp would not turn well!
(ii)              Creative thinking - in 'activating' the students (SPEAK UP for all the time… Go Ghost Rider!)
(iii)            Patience – for any tests and hardships…
(iv)             Positive thinking – everything has a reason to happen…
(v)               The importance of a real teacher…
 
In short, what I can say is: Language Camp in STARP was such a splendour!
 
 ^ct_aisyah^

Language Camp 24-25th March 2007 @ STARP - My Contribution
 
            I had never thought that being one of the 'Material Girls' was pretty tough, as I never dealt with such experience before. As the head of the Material Bureau, I think my bureau was the busiest bureau since before the program started besides Equipment Bureau. At first, I had a hard time in handling the bureau as I need to consider many aspects such as the approximate number, the budget, and the safety of each and every single material needed. Nevertheless, with help from other generous facilitators, I was able to handle everything with minimum difficulties. Credits to all of you!
In handling the materials, I had to cooperate with every bureau and game master for any materials required in the bureau / game. After waited until the finalized confirmation checklist for the real number of participants as well as the materials, I tried to request for material sponsor from the HEP. At first, Puan Rozita seemed to bring about our application, but a few days later, I had been told by her that HEP would not sponsor any faculty program. So, on the dot I decided to ask from the faculty itself. Alhamdulillah, after a day waited for response, I managed to please En. Asram to give most of the materials needed. However, my partner and I still need to buy other materials at three different times such as glues, scissors, envelops, whistles, etc according to the keep-changing needs. Besides that, we had to arrange the participants' files and materials for all games, according to all HQs besides the HQ labels and facilitators' 'mail'. The problem was not because of the tasks assigned to us, but because of the big amount of materials that had to be taken care of. One good thing was both me and Mira have our own car!
During the Language Camp, we had to distribute every box of materials to all HQs, make sure all HQs and games went smoothly without any problem of the materials. Luckily, my HQ was just a stone's throw away from Bilik Mesyuarat (the room where we kept our materials). So, it was easier for me to deal with the materials especially when I received calls from any HQ or individual asked for materials. Here, I would like to take the opportunity to apologize to all facilitators from HQ D for my 'occasional disappearance' especially to my teammate, Sumi. "Sorry guys…"
            After the program, Mira and I still had to counter all materials. We were the last couple to leave KTF with lots materials left including the unwanted ones. Thanks to Ammani, Andrew, Noni and Ruby for helping us to get them off the bus.
            Last but not least, thank you again to all facilitators for your support and help in preparing the materials for the camp. Sorry too for our weaknesses in managing the materials. Anyhow, I'm sure you will agree with me if I say that, the camp was definitely a treasured experience that can hardly be forgotten!
^ct_aisyah^


Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

salam...
hmm..i have lots to comment here..but words failed me..so all that i can say is syukran and thanks to you for all the help and guidance in being the material bureau..we had a great time toegther..sharing things, going out to buy things together, quarreling on which whistle to buy and a whole lot more...alhamdulilah..it all went well for the material bureau..hope we can cooperate together next time...(^0^)

Anonymous said...

Hi Teacher!
It's me Noni. Hi hi hi. Well anyway, just dropped by to leave you a comment. Glad you enjoyed the camp. I did too. Yeah, I was the same as you were before the camp but I was fun wasn't it? You and Mira gaa did a GREAT job at obtaining and handling the materials. Wish I could've helped, but oh, well. Ok then Ta-Ta!

Anonymous said...

this material girl was in my group and i was verrry happy because she's happy..heheheh..thanks a lot for all the helps and ideas...you've made the group GREAT!!

Anonymous said...

salam aisyah!!
hehe..new nickname..material gurl!! hehe..just for fun...thank u soooo much for all your contribution towards this camp!! we could'nt hv done this if u r not that dedicated!!
u must be sooo pening while preparing all the materials..I know..coz I had that pening too!! hehe..thank u soo much!! we love u!!

-xoxo-suYa-

Anonymous said...

Ecah...the girl from the material bureau or well known as the material girl(not materialistic)...
a nice girl that helps everybody a lot...nice having you in the team....

azma

Anonymous said...

Hi ct aisyah!

You did good job in attaining and handling the materials! I'm sure you must be relieved frm big 'headache'. Anyway i too enjoyed sitting beside you during the drama presentation! You are simply the best!!

Anonymous said...

salam..
hye material girl...i'm sorry for giving that name to you...i'm the first person said that to you right??
anyway you have done a good job...
i know you have done your very best to be the supplier of materials for this camp...on behalf of all the facilitators of camp b i want to said thanks a lot for your contributions..

Anonymous said...

hi ct..
to tell u the truth u did a great job handling the materials 4 d camp..had fun working with u...bubye...

Anonymous said...

Hai material girl,

You and aisyah did a very good job in handling the materials. I saw how tired you were before the camp but you manage to put a smile on your face...Thank was good!!!

NorAiSha said...

Salamz Dik;

Hi another Aisyah...thanks to your bureau.What a great partner..;i can see from u n aMira!Nice working wit u guys. thanks for the doraemon boxes dats u+amira prepared for us. what a great help..plus the cute wisel as well. congrate for all of us and each of us!gd Luck for Final.

THE NAME is N.o.R.a sumthing'

Anonymous said...

hai dear friend, you did a great job for preparing and handling the materials..I know that it was really big task to caaried out but you managed to handle it..KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK..ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR FINAL EXAM

Unknown said...

Salam…
Aisyah.. nice working with you. I miss the moments when we were “together together” at FANTASTIC FOUR. Our kids really fantastic, right? Credits to all of our co-facis in that group; GROUP D.  also, credits to you for your success in managing our materials. I think that new nickname “material gurls” really suit both of you.  hahaha..just kidding. :P I do agree with your statement that your group is one of the busiest bureau within our camp besides Sourvenir Bureau. That’s really awesome that you and your assistant finally managed to bring the success to our camp especially when it comes to material thing.  Give a big applause to Material Bureau as well as ourselves. WE did it guys!! And would like to take this opportunity to say “All The BEST for the exams!!” have a nice day!! Salam

++ nana ++

Anonymous said...

First i was confused reading your reflections as there was few words only...but then i realize the magic of it!

Anonymous said...

Hai aisyah..
You have done a good job in settling your bureau. Without your and Aishah Amira help, it would be difficult for us to start off the game as most of the game requires materials. Thanks again..bye bye

Anonymous said...

hi aisyah.....

i know, you know, and everybody knows that you and mira had done a great job....besides that i would like to thanks you alot for helping me with our small and great group...infact i should said that i help you with handaling the kids....coz you with them most of the time rather than me...am i rite...?/??thanks again u miss.smily

Anonymous said...

hiiiii aisyyyaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!
*another material girl..in a good way aa...*

hehehe...thanks a lot for your cooperation.your passion.your spirit.your hard work! really appreciate them!
congrats for being such a great and sporting facilitator!!! *wink*

-xoxo-

Anonymous said...

pity this girl.... people left lots of used materials in the bus and she had to pick them up, then load them again in a car, then transport the shipment to her room and sort it out all over again. Like a private postal, delivery & shipment service.

Anonymous said...

Hi Aisyah!
Don't worry..you were not the only who was worried and nervous..I was nervous too..I wasn't exactly sure of the grouping and etc..but I think you did a good job!! :) I enjoyed the drama presentation very much as well..goes to show how talented the students are..

Anonymous said...

salam aisyah...
as for materials bureu...you and mira did it well.no comments from me.congrates coz you managed to cut down the costs for your bureu.million of thanks from me.good luck for final exam