Tuesday, April 03, 2007

MY CONTRIBUTIONS FOR 'ENGLISH LANGUAGE CAMP' 24TH-25TH MARCH 2007 (UTM-STARP, KULAI)

Here are some of my contributions before and during the English Language Camp.

Hello friends!!!!
Organizing a language camp is not a simple task. It requires a lot of hard work to make it successful. I was the leader for preparing the participants' booklet for the camp, together with Prema and Ruzaini. It was not as easy as I thought to prepare the booklet. It needs to be perfect because it is the most important thing for the participants to refer to during the camp. So, I went to meet Mr. G to get a few samples of booklet from previous camps. Then, I started to read the samples and made a draft. My team mates and I discussed about the camp objectives and the rules as well as the information that need to be included in the booklet. Besides that, I prepared the welcome message from the director in the booklet too. The most important thing for me was to be aware of the changes in rules of the games from the game masters. So, I collaborated with Izzati and her team who was responsible to prepare the facilitators' manual. I referred to Izzati or sometimes the game masters themselves for the latest changes in the game rules. When the final editing was done, I met Mr. G once again to show him the booklet before sending it to be photo copied. There had been a little change from him on the welcome message and the songs which I included in the booklet. So, I immediately corrected them. For the design of the first page of the booklet, I asked it from kak Nora who designed our camp T-shirt. After everything was ready, I sent the booklet to be photo copied for the camp.
Besides preparing the participants' booklet, I was in charged of the morning exercise for the camp. My counterpart was Shereena. To prepare the steps, I watched a few aerobic VCDs. I even asked my friends for ideas on simple aerobic steps. I listened to English fast songs and made a few choices of songs to be combined. Then, I edited seven songs and combined it using Soundforge software. I practiced the aerobic every evening for two weeks with my partner so that our movements will be same. A few steps were changed because we felt that it was too complex for the participants to follow. We practiced until both of us were familiar with the steps.
The day that all of us had been waiting for arrived. Once at STARP, I helped the material bureau girls to distribute the participants' files and name tags in the dining hall of the hostel. Then, as all the facilitators had been assigned to each group earlier, we went to our own headquarters with our group of participants. I was assigned to group B. There, kak Nabila, the mini director for group B divided us into smaller groups and I was the captain for 'Mission Possible' group which consist of 19 participants from form 1-5. Activities were conducted as planned on that day. The next morning, I conducted the morning exercise with Shereena. As there was no stage for the both of us to stand onto, our friend Khairi, arranged a few long benches together to form a small stage. We were very careful while doing the aerobic because the benches were not that steady. Finally, the morning exercise was successfully done.

REFLECTION FROM THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE CAMP

I gained a lot of experiences through the language camp. First of all, I learned how to work as a team. This is because there were only 28 facilitators to take care of 228 participants. Team working was very important. All of us had to give cooperation and help each other in order to organize the language camp successfully. Without proper organization the whole camp would have been upside down as there were a large number of participants.
Besides that, I improved my communication skill in English as well. This is because I had done a lot of games briefing for my group. I had to deliver my instructions in English very clearly to the participants. During the briefing, I increased my self-confidence as I had to speak very loudly so that all of the participants could hear me. I created a good rapport with the participants and managed to interact with them in English.
Throughout the camp also, I learned how to deal with different kinds of characters. There were some active and quite a number of passive students, especially in my group. I had a great difficulty to make the passive students speak and join the group. They had problems in mixing around among themselves in the group as well. So, I had to sit together with them, gave ideas and encouragement to them and made them feel comfortable in the group so that they would enjoy themselves during all activities.
I really enjoyed 'Happy Melodies'. i guess all the facis, participants n Mr. G too enjoyed it very much...

That's all... Bye2...

-K.Malini-


_________________________________________________________________
Check out some new online services at Windows Live Ideas—so new they haven't even been officially released yet.
http://ideas.live.com/?mkt=en-my

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Malini did a very good job with the particapant's manual. The manual was very well organised.I know, it took a lot of hard word and dedication to complete the manual but the final product is marvellous. As for the aerobic session, it was mind blowing. Students really enjoyed the session. Good job Malini. Go Group B!!!!!

Anonymous said...

hello malini..
you've done a very good job in preparing the participants manual, with helps from you team members of course..

as for the morning exercise, wow!! can we have more exercise after this??it is very interesting and i love it..

Anonymous said...

Hie malini!!!!
You did a good job. The participant's manual that you and your members did really helped us a lot.
As for the aerobic, it was superb!!!! You did a good job Malini!!!!
With luv, Shereena

Anonymous said...

good day Mal...

i'm here to drop u a comment on your reflection n contribution..
i think you have done a good job in the language camp..especially in being a good faci for ur group..mission possible.i want to thank you for the experience we had together in the headquarters B..
all the best in the future..
n may our mission will always be possible...!bye..(^o^)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mal!
I think you did a very good job at creating the participants manual.Thanks a lot.It's good that you learned so much from the camp,especially about team working.I guess you're right that if we didn't work yogether, the camp would not be a success.As the Musketeers said it " All for One and One for All! That's all. Bye!

Anonymous said...

hi mal!
i also think u did a very good job in the stdnt manual..thank u so much for helping me out!! it is fun working with you too!! and you did very well with the morning exercise!! hehe..so cute on the benches!!

-xoxo-suYa-

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel!
I like the morning exercise very much!! Putting aside the stress & sweating enough to keep fit. I followed ur steps one one by one, u see, dat's y.. hehe =)

Anonymous said...

Hi mal!!!

It was fun working with you for the participant's manual!! The manual Rock's!! You also did job during the morning exercise, you were full of energy and stamina!

Anonymous said...

Hai mal...
You did a good job!!I know that u had gone through with many sleepless night, but it was really fun right..keep up your good work..

Anonymous said...

huhu..the participants manual was nice..wish could have one along with the bookmark...nak satu...huhuuh..by the way congrats malini..well done

Anonymous said...

huhu..the participants manual was nice..wish could have one along with the bookmark...nak satu...huhuuh..by the way congrats malini..well done
-hehe,forgot to write my name-

NorAiSha said...

Hola Malini;

Congrate!u have done a good job especially regarding to the Morning exercises. we enjoyed it much!I'm glad dat nothin' happened to both of u during dat time eventhough the movements are limited..(credit 2 Khairi..)we do enjoyed the days rite? ;>. Gd Luck 4 Final!

THE NAME is N.O.R.A sumthing

NorAiSha said...

As for chot; due to our balance money in the account..i think it is more than enough to give each of the facilitators the bookmark (A+B)as a token. i have asked the budget from our ex Treasurer 1, and she granted the wish.on d way to print it. ;>. Wait huh... cheers

Anonymous said...

hi malini karuppiah....

i know how much of time and energy you spend on this students manual...but dear..believe me that you had come out with a GREAT STUDENTS MANUAL.....i can see your effort on that manual...abot the morg exercise.....it was rock babe.....love you too...

Anonymous said...

Hai dear babe...

Soli for the late reply, you have seriously done a good job.. The participants manuals were so nice with cute pictures. It attracts students attention!!!Even the language used was easy to understand....Congrats and keep up your good work....

Anonymous said...

haaalllooooo mallllllllinniiiii!!!!!!

thanks a lot for your passion.your spirit.your cooperation.your hardwork! *wink*
you really did and excellent and awesome job in doing the manual!!! *clap..clap*
congrats for being such a cool and sporting facilitator!!! *big grin*

-xoxo-

Anonymous said...

ayoyo...why you write so lengthy one?
ok, firstly, nice aerobics excercise..
secondly, nice essay you've written here..
thirdly, nice systematic development of points... chakk~~

Anonymous said...

hello malini...
you did well for the participants manual.it was not an easy job to do.it needs lot of patience.in addition the rules were kept changing.thank god you were there.and yes not to forget...the morning exercise session.it was great.we really have a good time even though we have to wake up early in the morning!hehehe...congrates and good luck for final!