Sunday, April 08, 2007

My Reflection & Contribution

 
My Reflection

 As I reflect back, it's been a real learning experience for me. It's my first time really being part of a language camp and see how it's executed. For me, I did not use much language games in the class during my practical teaching because I was afraid that I would not be able to control the students because of their rowdy behaviour. But I've learnt from this camp that, it's through activities like most of the language games that really help the students to come out of their shell and really speak up. I can understand the passiveness of the students at the beginning because I myself am a passive person. And what's more, to use a language which they are not comfortable in makes it even more difficult. But, due to the fun environment and peers that are of the same level, they start to open up and have fun. After all, why not have fun while you can? I observed the students as they began to switch into full gear and take part in the activities.
As for me, I was quite passive but I've learnt how to adapt to different situations. As the schedule kept changing, we had to keep modifying the game, like for me, I did not use all the cards in the Who am I game because of the lack of time and also, the game almost ended in a tie, but we had to come up with a solution to to break the tie. Also, I learnt a lot about teamwork. The facilitators in Group D were fantastic, need I say, we have the best mini-director, Fadhli!! We worked together perfectly :)
It was definitely a good experience for me.

 

My Contributions

Before
 Before the camp, I helped Sumi prepare the materials for the Who Am I Game. As you know, there were 4 categories and I had to print 12 sets of the names within those 4 categories while Sumi photocopied them. A day before the camp, me, Sumi, Ruby and Salveen helped Sumi put the names into envelopes of different categories.

During
 During the camp, there were 2 girls who fell ill, one on Saturday and the other on Sunday morning(right before the morning exercise). One girl had severe migraine and so Ammani and I went to her dorm to take a look. We stayed with her while the activities went on as usual. At first, we did not have the first-aid kit with us, but thanks to Izzati, who brought not only the first aid kit, but also some biscuits for the girl. Hehe..thanks Zati! In the end, the girl was brought to the clinic by the warden.The other girl(the one who fell sick on Sunday) was less serious, and just needed to rest, so we gave her room to have some rest.
Other than that,  I was in charge of Checkpoint D in the Treasure Hunt activity. It was fun as I got to see the excited students rushing to and fro and having fun! Another thing that I enjoyed was being Judge 2 of the drama presentation. It was a first for me and although I had to make some painful decisions, I did enjoy the experience.
And last but definitely not least, I was a facilitator of Group D and together with Liana and Fadhli, we were in charge of Action Kamen. It was an awesome time!
 
I would like to say a big thank you to all the facilitators who made the camp a sucess!

That's all from me,
Grace

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi grace,

You wrote that you are a passive facilitator..but I believe that you are not...Just wanna say that, not only LOUD facilitators can achieve. I truly believe that a passive facilitator can also achieve something...

Anonymous said...

Gurl,memories we had in the room taking care of the girl was fantastics...dont know where i got the talent to message like that...kekeke...never before been in st John or PBSM.
Ammani Jeya

Anonymous said...

Hai Grace,
I think that you are not a passive person. Its just that some people are quite use to their own way and that is not something to be argued or defended. As what five fingers are not the same, and that goes how human are...
Takecare....bye bye

Anonymous said...

Hie Grace!!!
I think you did a great job during the camp. Anyway, I don't think that you are a passive type of person.Its all a matter of time for you to adapt to the new environment.
Anyway, congrats Grace!

Anonymous said...

hey grace...
u were not passive...that is ur style..all of us r different rite??? no 1 can change it...neway u did a great job as a faci....congratulations n bubye....

Anonymous said...

hi grace...

believe me...u r not a passive type of faci...u r a cute faci in our fantastic 4 group(group d....n u manage to make your group win the drama rite.....and its really great working with you durind and befotre the camp.....

Anonymous said...

halllooo grace!!!
i've seen a real grace during the camp! hehehe...you're actually quite a talker and active ya? don't hide yourself grace! fre the real graceeee!!! hehehe...*big grin*
-xoxo-

Anonymous said...

*provoking session*
Hey never though you could lie very well in your reflections.As far as i know you are not passive,you were never passive.You were the mastermind in everything that we did.....!

Anonymous said...

i don't think you are passive, Grace...if you look into the dictionary, you are too far from the meaning, come on!!!everyone has their own style...just imagine if all the faci are "HuHa" type or all the faci are "un- HuHa" type, do you think we can held a succesful camp???? come on ...we need each other.... we are a great combination of faci......

NorAiSha said...

Hola Grace

Maybe from the outside u look passive...but then ; I’m sure the inner part is not!;>. I am really sure for this!hahhaha. Congrate! you manage to be a good facilitator. If not; y they treat us like starz at star putra during those day?. Proud to have a ‘parent’s baby’ as part of us. ;)))). No heart Feeling k !Gd Luck for our final examination . Thanks for all the cooperation you had shown towards the camp and us. Sorry n thanks for everythin’!

THE NAME is N.O.R.A sumthin’

Anonymous said...

hello...

Miss nurse...taking care of the sick girl...
hehehehe.....now you know how to handle a group of teenaged male students....
and thanks for the picture from your phone's camera

Anonymous said...

ello darling, how it felt to become a nurse, uh?! hehehe~ luckily i brought the first aid kit and cookies and plain water and isotonic drink and... (kerek).
Anyway,you know something dear, you looked so cute when you took off your glasses when you were sleeping. like a baby. hehehe!

oklah, take care.