Sunday, December 20, 2015

My responsibilities for the language camp (Sara)

Hello everyone!

For the language camp, I was in the activity committee, as such, I am responsible to oversee the activities and games that we are going to play in the negotiation camp. Before the negotiation camp took place, we had held a meeting to decide on the possible games that we can include in the camp, excluding the Ranking Game and the WereTiger Game. As such, I am responsible in ‘collecting’ the games and discuss with the rest regarding the selection of the games we are going to play. The games were chosen based on a few criteria. For example, the game that should be chosen must first be easily understood by everyone, and it should be easy enough to understand for our future participants for the negotiation camp. The games should also be interesting so as to reel in the participants interest and motivation to play the game. Aside from that, we also have to take account on the time frame given to us, that is, the game must be executable in the length of one hour, and in unexpected cases, what are the variants that we could try in case we have to make the game longer or cut it shorter.

After the games are decided, I was tasked to go and meet Mr G to ask for the approval on the games, along with our director, Syafiq and our co-director Seha. Some rectifications are the made with the advice of Mr G, and the games are then finalized.

The next task for me is to assign a ‘Game Master’ for each of the games that we have decided for the camp. The title ‘Game Master’ here refers to the main facilitator that will be the one who understands the rule of the game thoroughly, and they will be the ones that the other facilitator (assigned for the groups) will turn to if they have any problem with the game the Game Master is assigned with. As such, the Game Masters selected are the people that came up with the games that have been finalized for the camp. In the cases of the Ranking Game and the WereTiger Game, the Game Masters are me and Fatin respectively, as we are deemed to be the ones that understands the rules of the respective games the most. Of course, the selection of the Game Masters are on mutual agreement of all of the committee of the negotiation camp.

On the day of the negotiation camp, my job is to see that the games are going smoothly, and that the participants can participate in the games while also being able to have fun. So I went around the groups, asking if they have any problems, and try to clarify it for them. I also worked with the other Game Masters if they have any problems and glitches in their game and tries to come up with counter measures for those problems with them.

On that note, as I have stated above, I was the Game Master for the Ranking Game. In all seriousness, I was very nervous in being the Game Master for the game because it was an idea from Mr G and I was so afraid in screwing up the game or something along those line. I tried my best to stay true to how the game is supposed to be however, so I think there’s not much problem with the game.

Another minor role I had for the camp is in helping Kak Fad with the program book, as our class’ Grammar Nazi. :P I am sorry for the still existent grammar mistakes though. I think a new Grammar Nazi needed. Hahaha.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well, grammar Nazi is still in learning process and it is OK to do the mistakes because we learn through mistakes, right?

Unknown said...

I am act as facilitator in the language camp but you are the game master. But i would like to share something that i saw and want to experience as a game master too. I think you did a good job. It is hard to find suitable games and rearrange it from easy to difficult and make sure every game is interesting and giving negotiation skills for the learners.